You have finally received a discharge in your Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy. Great! You are on your way to financial freedom, but your work is not over. For starters, make sure to keep copies of your bankruptcy paperwork, which includes the petition, schedules, and order of discharge. If you do lose them, the court will have it on record but will cost you time and money to retrieve them. The reasoning to keep these records is because creditors have been known to try to collect debts that have already been discharged in the bankruptcy. If your creditors actually try this, make sure to contact your attorney or the appropriate authorities.
Second, check your credit report. Obtain a copy of your credit reports and make sure there are no errors or inconsistencies. Every debt discharged in your bankruptcy should be noted as “discharged in bankruptcy” or something similar. If a debt is still listed as owed, send a copy of your discharge to the credit-reporting agency along with the schedules that lists the debt.
Third, list the debts that did not get discharged i.e. student loans, family support, recent taxes. Make arrangements to pay non-dischargeable debts. There are payments plans and settlement opportunities you can take advantage of to get these debts under control.
Fourth, start rebuilding your credit. One of the easiest ways to improve your score is to make sure you pay bills on time. Also, set up reminder on your calendar to pay bills every month by the due date. Most banks offer services that allow you to make payments electronically. Car loans can also help you to rebuild your credit and are more readily available than other forms of credit after bankruptcy. However, stay within your limits and buy a car that you can afford.
Fifth, make sure to start saving. Set up a savings plan even if it is for a few dollars per pay period. You never know when there will be an emergency. Also, try to put money towards your retirement.
Lastly, update your will. Your financial situation has changed, and you want to make sure your will reflects the position you are currently in and what you want going forward. You may require an attorney to draft one for you.
Read more about our bankruptcy services…
"Benjamin Wright with Wright Law Office made a very difficult time for us much easier. We were struggling and did not know what our options were. He explained all our options and helped us to make the best financial decision. They made things easy and were always available to answer any questions we had. I would definitely recommend him."
Why should you hire our firm to represent you in bankruptcy?
Great question. Here are a few reasons:
- 1. Bankruptcy is our sole area of practice. Attorney Wright has over 10 years of experience in the field of bankruptcy and has helped over 1000 people successfully file.
- 2. Attorney Wright has an accounting background that is useful in analyzing complex financial documents. Prior to law school he obtained a degree in accounting from the University of Wisconsin School of Business. He exercised his strong numerical aptitude in the field of accounting, including several years with The Kohler Co., before ultimately deciding to pursue a law degree.
- 3. New clients meet with an attorney during their first visit. We understand your time is valuable. It is important your questions are answered quickly and accurately so you can take appropriate steps to secure a better financial future and eliminate fear and stress.
4. In business, referrals are the highest form of professional compliment. We frequently receive referrals from other lawyers and previous clients.
- 5. Our firm is small which enables us to focus on quality over quantity. We don’t have billboards on the I-10 or banners affixed to public transportation. Our approach is a bit more understated. We care about people and doing things right and it shows in our low employee turnover and positive reviews.
- 6. Perhaps the most important consideration is the cost of filing bankruptcy. We continuously assess our fees to ensure we offer fair and competitive pricing. We want to offer you a deal without sacrificing the quality of your experience.
Ways we can help…
What our clients are saying…
Mr. Wright and his staff were amazing. They made a negative situation a lot better and turned it into a positive. Could really tell they care helping people and I will refer their Phoenix Bankruptcy Attorney firm to friends and family. Thanks again.
I called around looking for the right bankruptcy lawyer and came across Benjamin Wright. He personally called me for the consultation seeing how I live in Kingman AZ. He was very helpful from the start and his staff was very friendly and explained any questions I had, sorry for all the questions. I would definitely recommend Wright law offices, and I do!! Thanks for everything, you made what seemed like a hard thing to do simple!! You guys rock!!!
Great lawyer, he really helped my mother out of a jam. She was totally new to bankruptcy and he talked with us for about an hour and a half to make sure she wouldn’t be worried.
Ben is a kind and down to earth attorney. He worked around my busy schedule as a single mom (school, full-time job, and daycare pick up and drop off times). He explained absolutely everything to me and was good about e-mailing. I am writing this review as a THANK YOU.
I had a very positive experience with Attorney Wright. He or his staff returned my e-mails and calls promptly (even after business hours occasionally). His fees were reasonable. He was patient with me when I showed up in court missing an important document. He is aggressive, but fair and nice.