Phoenix Tax Debt Lawyer
The process of seeking tax debt relief in bankruptcy is a complicated matter that requires knowledgeable and experienced legal advocacy. If your tax debt is overwhelming and you are looking to explore your legal options, Wright Law Offices can help.
Contact Wright Law Offices to schedule a free consultation with a Phoenix tax debt lawyer.
Seeking Tax Debt Relief: Exploring Your Options
Eliminating tax debt is not an easy process, and it is not guaranteed in bankruptcy. The federal government has an incentive to make it difficult, as taxes are its main source of income. If you are looking to eliminate tax debt through bankruptcy, there are a few things you should know:
- The taxes you are looking to discharge through bankruptcy must be of “due and owning” status for more than three years prior to filing.
- Your taxes must be filed prior to filing bankruptcy.
- A tax assessment by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) must be completed 240 days before filing bankruptcy. If you are unsure of whether your tax assessment has been completed, you can order a transcript through the IRS.
Our law firm assists clients with both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Because tax debts are not always dischargeable in
Chapter 7 bankruptcy, a debtor may wish to explore options through
Chapter 13 bankruptcy. In Chapter 13, tax debt can be reorganized and a repayment plan lasting three to five years is established. Our Phoenix bankruptcy attorneys can help determine which — if any — of your tax debts can be eliminated through Chapter 7 and whether a repayment plan through Chapter 13 is a more suitable option.
Contact an Arizona Tax Debt Relief Lawyer
Contact a tax debt relief lawyer at our law offices in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, Kingman, Avondale or Prescott. Call 480-845-0145 to schedule a free initial consultation.
We are a debt relief agency. We help individuals and businesses file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.
How a Lawyer Can Help
As a Phoenix, AZ tax debt lawyer knows well, taxes on their own are confusing and stressful. That compounds if you owe money in taxes which you are unable to pay back. Seeing those dollar amounts in black and white can make everything all too real, and it is a common human reaction to want to run away from your problems. Unfortunately, tax debt is not easily avoided and should be addressed with the help of an experienced attorney who can guide you. Learn some of the options available to you to overcome your debt, and then contact a lawyer at Wright Law offices for help immediately.
Apply for Relief
The first step on this journey is to apply for tax debt relief. There are several programs available, and depending on your circumstances you may be eligible for one of them. Many things will go into the consideration of your eligibility such as the total amount of money you make in a year, what assets you own, what kind of job you work at, and more. Be aware, tax debt is never fully forgiven. However, the available programs can lessen the amount that you owe.
One such program from the IRS is called ‘offer in compromise’ which is where you can settle with the government for less than you owe. However, very few people are accepted into this program. It is considered only for those suffering from severe hardships, which is why it is important to have a Phoenix tax debt lawyer by your side to help you know if you qualify for this or if you should focus your energy elsewhere.
If you are not eligible for any assistance programs, an attorney can work to negotiate what you owe with the government to protect your assets. Just like any other type of debt, the IRS can place a lien on your property which means, for example, that if you default on payments they can foreclose on your home in order to make back what they are owed.
A lawyer will work to ensure your assets, such as your home, are protected as much as possible. They will also protect your credit score as much as possible. Any sort of debt will affect it, but there are industry rules that when followed, can protect your score in the long run.
In general, most people qualify for the government’s Fresh Start program which allows you to create a payment plan to slowly pay off your debt at a much more manageable rate. This program is only available to those who have filed all tax returns in the previous years and have not recently taken advantage of the program.
Word of Caution
Tax debt relief is an area where scammers prey upon innocent people. Be vary wary of any programs that promise one hundred percent debt relief. Owing money to the government can be a scary and stressful time — do not let others take advantage of that. Instead, contact a trusted attorney to handle your case.
Reach out to a qualified Phoenix tax debt lawyer at Wright Law offices for help immediately.
If you have text debt, you may want to get in touch with a Phoenix, AZ tax debt lawyer. Not being able to pay tax debt can be stressful. A lawyer from Wright Law Offices can help you find the best solution for your situation.
Here is some further information about tax debt lawyers.
- Tax debt lawyers are legal professionals who help repair tax issues for individuals and businesses. They can provide a wide range of services, from helping you file back taxes to negotiating a settlement with the IRS.
- Here are a few different ways that a tax debt lawyer can help you:
- Assess your tax situation: A Phoenix tax debt lawyer can review your financial records and tax history to determine the extent of your tax debt and the best course of action for resolving it.
- Handle negotiations with the IRS: A tax debt lawyer can communicate with the IRS on your behalf and negotiate a settlement or payment plan that works for your financial situation.
- Help you file back taxes: If you have unfiled tax returns, a tax debt lawyer can assist you in preparing and filing them.
- Represent you in court: In some cases, you may need to go to tax court to resolve your tax debt. A tax debt lawyer can represent you in court and present your case to the judge.
- Provide advice and guidance: A tax debt lawyer can help you understand your rights and obligations under the tax code and provide advice on how to avoid future tax issues.
- If you’re facing tax debt, the lawyer you hire should have experience and expertise in this area. Here are some tips for choosing a tax debt lawyer:
- Look for experience: Make sure the lawyer you choose has experience working with clients who have tax debt issues. You may also want to ask for references from past clients.
- Check credentials: Look for a lawyer who is licensed to practice law in your state and who has a good standing with the bar association.
- Evaluate communication skills: It’s important to choose a lawyer who communicates clearly and regularly with you throughout the process.
- Understand that working with a tax debt lawyer can be expensive, so it’s important to weigh the costs against the potential benefits. However, in many cases, hiring a tax debt lawyer can save you money in the long run by helping you negotiate a lower settlement with the IRS or avoiding future tax issues.
- Here are some things to consider when it comes to the cost of hiring a tax debt lawyer:
- Hourly rate: Many tax debt lawyers charge an hourly rate for their services, which can range from several hundred to several thousand dollars per hour.
- Flat fee: Some tax debt lawyers offer flat-fee services for specific tasks, such as preparing and filing back taxes.
- Payment plans: Some tax debt lawyers may offer payment plans or other flexible payment options to make their services more affordable.
If you have tax debt, you may want to schedule a meeting with a Phoenix tax debt lawyer from Wright Law Offices.